There are many reasons for losing weight:
- Appearance: People may feel that if they lose weight, they will look more attractive, fitter, or healthier.
- Confidence and body image: People with excess weight or obesity may feel uncomfortable about their appearance.
- Overall health: Maintaining an appropriate weight can help to boost overall health and prevent diseases such as type 2 diabetes.
- Specific conditions: Symptoms of sleep apnea or type 2 diabetes, for example, may improve or go away when a person loses excess weight.
- Fitness: A weight-loss program that involves exercise can leave a person feeling fitter, with more energy and stamina
- Sports competitions: In some sports, such as boxing, an individual may seek to control their weight so that they can stay in their existing weight category.
- Fertility: Fertility treatment appears to be more effective in women with obesity and polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) if they lose some weight before treatment.